Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 3/4 cups (385g) caster sugar
- 4 peaches, peeled, stoned, each cut into 6 wedges
- handful of juicy blackberries
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (60g) ground almonds
- 6 eggs
- Thick cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line base of a 24cm springform tin with baking paper. Place 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Simmer until a dark caramel forms. Immediately pour caramel into base of tin, then top with peach wedges, skin-side down and sprinkle with blackberries.
- Place butter, vanilla and remaining 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, ground almonds and 1/2 tsp salt over butter mixture. Add all eggs then beat on low speed until mixture is smooth and just combined.
- Spoon batter over peaches then level. Bake for 30 minutes. Cover top with baking paper to prevent over-browning, then bake for a further 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in tin for 10 minutes. Release side of pan then place a plate over top. Invert cake on to plate. Remove base and paper. Serve with thick cream.